Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Budget Cuts: Round 1

Well, they have begun. Budget cuts, that is. The legislature announced a reduced budget cut for the fiscal year 2008-2009. "Only" 3.8% needs to be cut instead of the proposed 12%. Great news. But this is already on top of the 4% budget cut we faced Fall 2008.

The president announced on Monday that all employees (full-time and part-time) are required to take a one week vacation during spring break without pay. The vacation part isn't such a big deal since classes are not in session that, but losing a week's salary- not cool. At first I thought I might not be affected since I'm paid with soft money, but no such luck. Everyone is losing a week's pay, regardless of whether the salary is paid through state funds or another source- not cool.

While it may only be a 2% salary reduction, the legislature is still making decisions for the 2009-2010 fiscal year. These cuts are only through June; we're waiting to see what comes after that. I know I should be thankful that I have a job, and I really am trying, but it's still frustrating. Stay tuned for Round 2.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Ugh. Best of luck with this, but whatever happens, you'll find where you're supposed to be.

Carrie said...

Thanks. I know it's true. If I'm left without a job, that just means something better is in store...right? Plus, we've been trying to live off Scott's salaray for awhile to save money, so I know we can do it if we have to.