Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mission Learn to Knit: Complete

On Saturday, I had my third and final knitting class.  Out of the 6 people who started the class, only 5 showed up and only 2 of us had our scarf completed in length.  That is an amazing feat considering how far behind everyone else I was when I started. 

I kept track of how much time I spent working on this first knitting project- in addition to the 6 hours in class, I spent 5 hours working with the purple yarn and 24 hours on the green scarf.  That's 35 hours learning to knit and knitting in 2 weeks- just like a part-time job!

I'm glad I did it and I'm glad I had the patience to persevere through the tough parts at the beginning.  I learned how to cast on, knit, purl, bind off, weave in tails, make a key hole, and undo stitches.  That's a lot and I'm proud of my learnings, but I'm also ready for a break.  I will sign up for another class in the future, just not the next session.

Here's a close-up of the pattern: knit 4, purl 4, knit 4, purl 4 and so on for 36 stitches.  I really like how it looks, but it's a lot of work to keep alternating back and forth between stitches.
And here's the finished product- keyhole and all.
Wait until you hear about my basic sewing class that I've started!

No comments: