Saturday, March 27, 2010

Coupon Stacking

What is it and why do I love it?

First- coupon stacking is taking a manufacturer's coupon and stacking it up with a store coupon, and oh, maybe throwing in a rebate for good measure.

Second- I love it because I get things for extremely cheap or free!

I stacked coupons twice this week. The first was for Visine eye drops. I had a mail-in rebate offer for a free trial. I purchased the eye drops for 11.99. I also had a $2 off coupon, so I really paid 9.99. I get to submit the rebate for the full 11.99 price, effectively making $2 off the deal (well, really 1.56 after you take out the price of the stamp.) This was an ok deal, and my husband has eye drops he can use.

The next deal was better. I found a mail-in rebate for some new Oil of Olay lotion. The 20 oz bottle was on sale at Walgreen's this week for 7.99 and you got a free shower gel (a value of 4.99). I had read online that you could also use manufacturer's coupons for both the lotion and shower gel. I didn't think it would really work. After all, the shower gel was already free, but sure enough, I was able to use both $1 off coupons. I paid 5.99 for the lotion and shower gel, and I'll submit my rebate for the full price listed on my receipt- 7.99. A profit of $2. Not too shabby. Now I'm stocked on lotion for the rest of the year, and I really like the product.

I usually prefer instant savings over mail-in rebates, but it's always fun to try new products every once in awhile.

2 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I love coupons and stacking but be careful. Some cashiers don't realize you can do that and will get upset. It seems to happen to us mostly at Walgreens or CVS. When it does, and their isn't a manager we can ask to speak to, we just leave and come back the next day.

Carrie said...

We've found it works best if you hand the cashier the manufacturer's coupon first, then the store coupon after that. In our case, we only have experience with Walgreens, but this prevents errors or confusion.