Sunday, December 19, 2010

4,500 pages (and counting)

Many of you may know that I love to read. I probably manage to read more than 200 pages every day, whether from the Bible, from my science/fantasy books, or my books about learning. I also get to throw journal articles in there, as well as web pages that I find interesting and consult on a daily basis.

One of the great chores that I have been undertaking lately has been the pursuit of a Doctor of Ministry degree. The last two times that classes have been offered at the school where I am enrolled, I have taken up the opportunity to complete 9 credits, a three credit and a six credit class. We are supposed to read approximately 500 pages per credit hour, which amounts to roughly 4,500 pages for nine credits.

When you do that a couple of times each year, that amounts to around 9,000 pages. And for me, that is on top of my "usual" reading. (Yes, I freely admit that I am a nerd, bookworm, or any other affectionate name that you want to call someone whose nose is often found in a book, magazine, etc.) And yet, I personally enjoy the challenge of it all, as well as the learning that takes place as I read.

As usual, I also try to implement what I learn when I read. Usually, after a wave of new books, I'll often be found initiating conversations, trying new things, or just simply re-adjusting part of my life to better fit what I have learned. That truly is one of the joys I have as I grow in my life and in my Christian faith.

Oh, and just in case I didn't have enough to read, I also recently found another running magazine that looked appealing and helpful, and so signed up for it. Yes, another magazine to read on a monthly basis. I love it!

As you read this and ponder just how crazy I am, remember that I am also the person who chose to read "War and Peace" during the six weeks of Lent a couple of years ago, and finished with more than a week to spare.

No comments: