All in all, it was a great birthday last week. I loved the wildflowers and it was the first time we'd ever been up to see them. I marvel in God's beauty each time we experience a new adventure as we did high up in the canyon.
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Wildflower Wonderland
Does this picture say birthday fun, or what? It does to me. One week ago I celebrated yet another birthday, and another increase in my age. Oh fun. Actually, the day was a lot of fun, but turning another year older? Not so much fun.
For the first time in a loooong time, we had company over my birthday weekend! It was so fun to have my college friend and her husband visit us. My birthday fell on a Sunday this year, which meant we all went to church together, ate lunch, then went off exploring in the canyon.
We stopped at this lake overlook on the way to our destination.
Then we arrived at our destination. Another lake high up in the mountains, surrounded by trees, cliffs, and....
...wildflowers! Tons and tons of lush fields of wildflowers. No, those yellow flowers you see are NOT dandelions. We didn't see a single dandelion. Instead, we saw arrowleaf basalmroot, mules-ear (wyethia), wild roses, larkspur, yarrow, penstenom,
indian paintbrush,
thistle,
pretty white flowers,
coneflowers,
lupine,
and another 10+ varieties that we could tell were different than the others, but weren't included in our wimpy flower guide. Because of the extremely wet June we had, the wildflowers were thick. We only walked around the lake, but saw so many different varieties, it was great. We probably counted 25+ different flowers, but I heard an expert had counted 56 different wildflower varieties in that same area!
This flower we only saw one of our entire 2 hour hike. At first we thought it was a kleenex from far off, but as we came closer we saw it was some sort of iris or orchid.
My friend and I enjoyed taking pictures of all the flowers and looking at the scenery. Our husbands were a little less interested in pictures and a little more interested in climbing. Here's Scott perched on a rock.
All in all, it was a great birthday last week. I loved the wildflowers and it was the first time we'd ever been up to see them. I marvel in God's beauty each time we experience a new adventure as we did high up in the canyon.
All in all, it was a great birthday last week. I loved the wildflowers and it was the first time we'd ever been up to see them. I marvel in God's beauty each time we experience a new adventure as we did high up in the canyon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment