Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday, Lent, and Jesus

It's February 17 today. But if you look on quite a few calendars, you will also see "Ash Wednesday." For many Christians, this day is the beginning of a 40 day journey (not counting Sundays) to Easter, carrying us to the cross and the empty tomb.

During this season, Christians are encouraged to consider the price that Jesus paid for all our sins. Part of our Christian life during this time is to consider our own personal responsibility for Christ having to suffer and die, and then to turn away from those sins. The big word for this is "repentance", where we take an honest, inward look, search out our faults, confess them to God, and give thanks for the forgiveness that Jesus purchased for us on the cross. Then, we set our hearts and minds to "give up" those sins during this season.

That's the meaning behind Christians traditionally giving up something for Lent. Ideally, it would be some sinful action that we discipline ourselves from doing, though in more recent years, many find other things to give up. In older times, it was also encouraged that the Christian would add something to bring growth in faith and living, such as prayer, Bible reading, or something similar.

This year, for Lent, Carrie and I have both chosen to give up something. She is giving up sweets, while I am giving up any alcoholic beverages (except for the Lord's Supper). Carrie has recently added a daily time of morning prayer and Bible reading before work, which will continue through this season. (By the way, stay tuned in for a little more of an explanation from her about this. It's really interesting and exciting!) I really haven't decided if I will add anything, since I already do so much Bible reading, prayer, and other spiritual disciplines. If I do, I will let you know.

Do you have any Lent traditions? Any giving up or adding in? We'd love to know and to support you and pray for you in your journey.

No comments: