Friday is typically my day off. It's the day where I look forward to not having to face the rigors of work. Now, working in a Christian setting doesn't mean that I take time off from being a Christian, but instead from the phone calls, the "busy" work, and other things of that nature.
So my days off tend to find me doing a number of things. Usually I have a short list of things to do around the house (vacuum, mow grass, etc), but for the most part, the day is pretty open. Lately, I have made Friday my long run day. Last week, I took an hour long run, and today involved a run of an hour and twenty minutes.
One thing I really, really try to incorporate into my day off is time to let my mind rest. I do so much that involves thinking and planning throughout the work week that my mind needs that time away. Sometimes this means a nap, and other times it means playing Nintendo, or watching a movie, or the Food Network, or some mindless thing like that.
I really recognize the need for this day in my life on a weekly basis. It's also sad that I know so many people who seem to be unable to just stop and learn how to let their minds and bodies relax. Our society seems so intent that everyone has to always be "doing something", even on a day set aside to rest.
God knew that we wear out, get sick, burn out, and other such things when we don't let our minds and bodies rest. I hope that each of you finds time to escape the rigors of work to let yourself rest, and I really hope that you find time for prayer and Bible reading on that day set aside to rest.
Friday, October 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment