Wednesday, April 8, 2009

War and Peace

Ever since Ash Wednesday (February 25), I have undertaken the task of reading what some have called the best novel ever written. It's "War And Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. I am posting tonight to announce my triumph. I have finished the novel, in a mere 6 weeks. That's more than 1300 pages read (1,387, to be precise). Here is my book after it has been conquered.


I want to thank everyone who helped make this achievement possible. First, I have to thank Carrie, who put up with me simply reading and not interacting with her a lot when I was engrossed in the book. I also have to thank my mother-in-law for getting this book for me for Christmas. Finally, I want to thank my eyes, who were ready to give up a few times along the way.

If you ever get a chance, I highly suggest reading this novel. The characters are very interesting, and it actually reads fairly quickly.

While we're thinking of long novels, what is the longest novel you've ever read? "War And Peace" now moves above "Anna Karenina" (by the same author) for my longest novel.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Congrats! I went through some of my books awhile ago and found that I have two copies of "Anna Karenina" and one copy of "Anna Karenin." I don't know where the 'a' went or why it left, but I haven't read any of them to see if it's different in other ways.

Now can you conquer "Ulysses"? That is challenge that defeats many. I keep saying I'm going to attempt it myself, but the new 7-day books at the library always tempt me away.

Craig said...

I've been meaning to tackle "Atlas Shrugged," which is 1200 pages or so. Maybe this summer.