During the season of Lent, Scott gave up watching TV (which is why he was able to finish War and Peace in less than 6 weeks). Since he wasn't watching TV during that time, I found that I wasn't watching much either (except for Survivor, Amazing Race, and Grey's Anatomy). It got us thinking about how we spend our time on a daily and weekly basis. Did we really need 100+ channels of TV if we could get by without that many?
I suggested we cut back to a smaller package, and he actually agreed with me! My TV-loving, sports-addicted husband was in agreement about cutting back our TV programming. I didn't hesitate (much), and downgraded our packaging. Goodbye ESPN. Goodbye TLC. Goodbye CNBC. Goodbye Discovery.
I admit, I was a little sad to see some of those channels go, but really, we don't watch that much TV anyway. Sure, we can now save a few bucks off our bill each month, but really the move is representative of a larger change for us. An intentional commitment to spend more quality time together and time with God. It's easy for us to be swayed by the ways of the world when we become consumed with TV watching. Yes, sometimes it is nice to veg out in front of the TV, but we also use the TV as a time-waster as well.
Here's to our little experiment. Before long, we may even downgrade again to package consisting of only local channels. Only time will well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We cut our cable back shortly before Nolan turned 1. It was a little strange at first b/c TLC was one of my favorite channels, too. But Jake and I agreed that we didn't need to be watching TV just for the sake of watching TV. There are times I miss it, but overall, it's been great for our entire family. Congrats on the experiment! Hope it goes well :)
Thanks for sharing and encouraging! It's nice to hear we aren't the only ones out there trying it.
Yeah, we just have a digital antennae right now, so we only have the basic channels. We almost got cable, but when the cable guy never showed up, and they had no record of us in their system, we decided to stick with the antennae. Who knows, we might go back to cable, but it's nice not paying that extra bill!
Definitely nice not to pay another bill! I hear you on that one.
Post a Comment