Monday, July 20, 2009

Washing the...IPod???

The other day, I had something interesting happen. Sunday is the typical day where we wash our laundry, and I was the one doing it. We separated our clothes into the various loads, and I began my usual routine of washing. Only, this particular load of laundry was going to bring something new to pass.

Sunday evening is also the time when I hold my softball team's practice, so I had headed over to the field, leaving a load in both the washer and the dryer, to finish up when I returned home. However, while I was there, I heard my cell phone ring a couple of times. As is usual for me, I waited until practice was over to see who had tried to call. It was Carrie. I called her back, and she told me she had something to tell me when I got home. So I rushed home, and walked in the door, and guess what she showed me?

Yes, I had left my iPod in the pocket of my shorts. It had gone through the whole wash cycle, and looking closely, you could see the little pocket of water under the screen. My treasured iPod, suffering in the deluge of the washer, and my music for running, seemed to be gone forever.

However, Carrie had done some investigative work for me. She had looked up several solutions for people who had suffered from wet iPods. Most of the solutions simply said to let it dry out for several days, and many of them had been as good as new. So we set aside my iPod for almost a full week to give it time to dry out.

Yesterday, I held my breath, plugged in my headphones, and viola, a working iPod once again. You can imagine the sense of relief (especially at not having to spend the money to buy a new one!!!). It has been working as well as before. Needless to say, from now on, I will be checking my pockets closely before anything goes in the washer!

No comments: