Sunday, May 16, 2010

Is it spring yet?

Or maybe, being here where we are, I should ask is it summer yet? I ask this question because I am itching to get my garden going and growing. It's been way too long since I got to dig in the dirt and watch my plants grow, not to mention picking yummy food off of them.

Since I can be kind of impatient at times, I decided to start my garden early this year. At the local Sam's club, I purchased a garden greenhouse kit, complete with little sod coins. This is what it looked like when I first was getting started.

If you look closely, you can see the top row with three coins having had water added. Once you placed the seeds in the centers, water needed to be added. This puffed up the sod coins to full size, and created a nice growing medium for the small plants. Here is what it looked like once the seeds had been added and water fully applied.

Then, it was time to wait.

I did these first steps back on April 11. Now a little over a month later, I have the beginning of my garden. As the weather and the ground warm up, you can see these little plants just waiting to get their roots into some more substantial ground.


Aren't they all so cute? And to think, soon Carrie and I will be eating some of the delicious growth that comes from these little guys. But until then, keep checking on here, because pretty soon, there will be some pictures when they actually make their voyage from the greenhouse to the garden. Ooooh, I just can't wait!!!

1 comment:

MacKenzie said...

I'm sad we live to far away now to "steal" your leftovers, we were never hurting for yummy zucchini with you around. Right now our plants are in limbo, we (by which I mean Craig) has to drag all the pots outside each day and bring them back at night. Every time I am convinced it is warm enough to leave them out, I hear news of a cold night. Soon though!