Friday, March 20, 2009

A Trip to the Big City

Last weekend, the main reason that I was guilty of not blogging was that I was in New York on a bit of a business trip. I went there with some colleagues in order to learn a little bit about how people share Jesus with the people of New York.

Now, of course, any trip to the Big Apple is not complete without a little sightseeing. So our guide took us over to the Staten Island Ferry. This was a great chance to get to see some of the big sights of the city.
As the ferry pulled out of its dock, you could look back and see the famous Manhattan skyline (minus two rather large buildings). So, of course, I had to get a picture looking back.

One thing that was amazing was how tall so many buildings are. Since I have not really lived in what you could call a major metro area, tall buildings are somewhat of a novelty. So I just had to take a few more pictures of these towering giants. Here are a few more buildings, as seen from the ferry.
One of the other sights you see from the ferry is that monument of freedom, the great gift from France celebrating the 100th birthday of the United States. Here she is in all her glory. (Incidentally, though she is a rather large lady, in comparison with all the buildings around, she seems rather short!)

I wanted to share these pictures with you, as they are the typical ones you expect of a tourist to New York. In a future post, you can look forward to hearing about a few of my other experiences in the big city.

No comments: