Sunday, March 15, 2009

An Update

It seems that we just aren't posting at much as we would like to. I initially had a goal of posting 2-3 times a week, but now it's a challenge to post once a week. Sigh. I guess it's better than not having a blog at all, right?

Well, my spring break is over. I really don't know where the week went. I had all of these big plans to get so much work done- lesson plans, extra teaching seminar, taxes, PLI homework, cleaning, email catch-up, etc. I thought it was a reasonable amount of work to get done, but I was wrong. I only accomplished a few of the tasks, and definitely added more to my to-do list.

And now it's back to work and the remaining 7 weeks of the semester will surely fly by. The good news is the snow is melting and we can see grass again!

A few weeks ago I reached a milestone at Curves, the women's gym I've been exercising at for 2 years now, I hit 300 workouts! They are now giving you shirts everytime you hit another 100 workout milestone, so here's the one I got.

I know a free shirt isn't that big of a deal, but it reminds me of progress. Curves has worked so well for my exercise routine. I pack my gym bag, put it in the car, and exercise on my way home from work 3-4 times a week. I used to hate exercising at anytime other than the morning, but this has really worked well. Once I pack my bag, the decision to work-out is made...no sleeping in or putting it off. And once I finish my exercise, I'm no longer tired after a day of work, I have energy to make it through the evening.

Finally, our state legislative session ended last week and final decisions on budget cuts were made, so hopefully now I can find out if I have a job next year. Basically, I think I will find myself in 1 of 3 options- no job at all, only part-time status teaching 1 or 2 classes, or another full-time contract teaching 3 classes. I'm hoping for some type of work, but Scott and I have been trying to save a lot in case I am out of work. I was really worried a few weeks ago, but I feel at peace now. I believe God will provide. He provided this incredible job in the first place with multiple full-time contracts that were a real rarity in the history of my department. I know we will be ok with whatever happens, and there is great peace with that.

Other decisions the legislators made that I just can't help but share- major reform on our quirky state liquor laws. No more private clubs or bars requiring an application and fee. Bars will be open to anyone now without a fee. Also, the "Zion curtain" is coming down. This is a glass partition separating customers and bartenders. Servers will soon be able serve alcohol directly over bar counters instead of having to walk about them. Last of all, the state lost 1 million dollars in federal highway funds because they won't require citizens in the state to wear seatbelts! Can you believe it?

Most of the time I love living in the state for its natural beauty. But there are times where I really wonder how the people in charge make some of the decisions they do. None of the above decisions really affect me, but I just can't help but shake my head at how strange some of them are.

3 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I thing I have learned from blogging is that you have to find a way to make your blog fit your life. If it is once a day, that's great, if it is once every other week, that's great too.

Also, I hope your job works out. But that is crazy about the zion curtain. I wouldn't have expected that.

The Nate and Sara Project said...

Carrie, you are phenomenal!!! What an inspiration you are. I'm so glad they are finally doing those shirts, because 300 workouts says a lot, and you should certainly get a prize for it! I was so happy to read this. I know it's cliche and you've heard it from me a lot, but you are awesome, Carrie!

Carrie said...

Thanks, Sara! You know that you and Chris were part of the reason behind the success I've had. Hope you are well.