From an earlier post, you read that I am trying to be part of a study on phytosterols and how diet and the drug "Zetia" help to lower LDL cholesterol. Here is the latest news.
This past Wednesday, I went in for a second round of testing to determine if I fit the qualifications for the study. The results from my first blood draw indicated that I had an LDL level of 103. For the study, they are looking for individuals ranging from 100-199. As part of the study, I had to have a second blood draw, and they would then take the average of the two.
So yesterday, I was at the doctor's office early in the morning for my second blood draw. I received a call later in the day saying that I still fit the parameters of the test, with a second result of 100 (average of 101.5) So it seems that I have made it into the study. (All that remains is for the doctor overseeing the study, who resides in St. Louis, MO, to give final approval for all participants.)
That meant that I had a physical exam and a meeting with a dietician this morning. Both went pretty well, and with the dietician, I have now set up three separate, three-week segments where I will be eating only the food that they provide (free food, free food!!!) Tomorrow evening I have a brief orientation to the food and the place where they will serve it, and then next week, they are holding a practice run, with three days of food, and then treating Thursday and Friday as a weekend, where they will send the food home with us to eat.
So it seems that I will be a part of this study. Not only have I received a couple of checks on my cholesterol, but I also received a physical exam, and approximately 10 weeks worth of food, all with no expense to me (other than a little bit of time and blood). Maybe life as a guinea pig isn't really too bad after all!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So you have to go somewhere to get the food every day during the week?
Yes, I have to go to the Junction on campus daily for breakfast and dinner. I get to take lunch with me. On the weekends, they send my meals home with me. In addition, I have a multivitamin and a shake that I have to take each day, which they serve with breakfast. Sounds like fun, eh?
In addition to all of the yummy food (it does look good, I peeked at his menu) and free blood work and exams, he gets paid $500!
Post a Comment