In a previous blog entry, Carrie told you about many of the free things we've come across lately. It's been a lot of fun, looking for the various coupons and deals, and then making the most of them.
One opportunity we can across a couple of weeks ago involved a nutritional study about high cholesterol. At our local university, they have a center for advanced nutrition, and one of their goals is to help people better understand the inpact diet and behavior can have on our bodies. We came across the website for a study of phytosterols, so I decided to throw my hat in the ring and see what all was involved.
This morning, I went to the student health an center where I had my blood drawn to see if I am eligible for the study. They are looking for people with high cholesterol, to see the effect diet has on it. While I don't think I have very high cholesterol, if they have need of me, I'm hoping to be included.
The research project consists of three separate three-week times where the participants eat only the food provided by the nutrition center. During that time, they take regular blood draws to see how the diet is affecting the cholesterol count. All the food is provided by them, which equates to about 9 weeks worth of food covered.
I'm expecting to hear back in the next few days on whether my cholesterol count includes me in the study. Stay tuned to hear the results, and, should I be chosen, to hear about my participation and my yummy, free food.
***UPDATE**** I received a phone call on Thursday saying that I had moved on to the next round of testing. The sad part is, this means that my cholesterol levels were high enough for their research purposes (I didn't receive a detailed number, though I will probably ask at my next appointment). That means that I have to once again fast on Tuesday night and be at the clinic at 6:30AM Wednesday for my next weigh-in, measurements, and blood draw. I'll let you know what comes up after that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Craig did a study at our univerisity on flu shots, he got a free shot and just had to go back for blood samples a few times. I don't think I would ever want him doing a drug trial or anything dangerous, but simpy studies like these are easy and it's nice to know you are helping further science! The free food would be a nice benefit, although let's hope it tastes okay.
We've also done taste tests before on campus where we've tasted different milks, cheeses, ice cream, etc. and gotten paid to do it. That's one of the perks of living near a university!
Post a Comment