Friday, June 26, 2009

Food Adventures in Travelling

As many of you may already know, I'm a big fan of the Food Network. While the "Iron Chef" shows may be my favorites, I also get a kick out of the shows that travel to different places and tell about the foods there. While this entry may not quite be along those lines, it has food, and it has travelling in it, so sit back, read on, and enjoy.

As part of my phytosterol study, I am required to eat only the food that they provide. This helps to control the amount and kind of cholesterol we ingest, so that they have better control for the study. This recently presented a problem for me. In the middle of my first three-week cycle, I had to be at a conference in another state, and had to fly to get there.

Fortunately, there are some smart people involved in the study. They loaded up a cooler for me to pack away three days' worth of food, which I could then check onto the airplane, and take with me to my hotel. While there, I simply had to add ice to keep the food cool. Here's a view of the cooler I got to take along.


As you can tell, it is really quite stylish. I happened to be the test case for the study on this, since several other people will be travelling during the summer. Everything went off without a hitch, other than people asking me why I thought it necessary to bring my own beer and cooler along for my conference. The food stayed cold, like it was supposed to, and I have now returned the cooler to the study. Just two days ago, I saw the next person wheeling it out after dinner for their trip. I hope their travel adventure goes as well as mine did.

No comments: