Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Running the Legs Off

One of the great things about our God is that He gives so many opportunities to do so many different things in life. Both Carrie and I like to find new things to do, new opportunities to experience what God has made. And so many of those wonders can be found by challenging our bodies and seeing how God has made them capable of so many things.

By now, you've probably read that I'm going through a phytosterol study. This study begins tomorrow, when I report in for the first of three weeks worth of meals. I'll keep you informed about the food and other details as they come up.

But I have also found a new challenge for my body. In our area, they sponsor a marathon each year, as well as a half-marathon. One of my life's goals is to run and complete a marathon. For the past several years, I have given thought to training and running in the marathon, but for one reason or another, it just hasn't worked out.

So I'm going to try something a little different. Half-marathon, here I come. For the past month and a half, I've been going to my exercise place and running on the treadmill to start getting my body ready. As of today, I was up to almost 5 miles at 6.5+ mph. My goal is to be able to complete the 13 miles in slightly under an hour and a half. That averages out to about 8 mph.

As you can tell, I've got some improving to do. However, with about 2 1/2 months to go, it seems that I have time to get ready. Your thoughts and prayers will be appreciated as I reach for half of my goal.

No comments: