Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Peaks and Valleys

Today I woke up and saw a beautiful sunrise over the mountains. I don't like that the daylight hours are getting shorter, but it does mean that I can catch the sunrise while getting ready for the day. Below is the view from our guestroom. Just think- this can be your view if you come and visit us (hint, hint).

After getting ready for the day, I drive to work and park at our church. I can always find a spot in the lot, and it is close to campus! I start the day with exercise by hiking the hill. It's probably a 200 foot rise in elevation and I climb over 100 stairs. Even though I do this every day, it still causes me to huff and puff a little. Here's the start at the bottom- headed towards one of the oldest buildings on campus (if not THE oldest), and the location of my office in the basement.

On the way to the top, I take in the scenery on the hillside along with the many chipmunks gathering their nuts for the winter.

Once I reach the top of the stairs, I'm treated to a beautiful view over the valley. I can never look at the mountains enough. They are just breath-taking and evidence of God's mighty power and beauty in creation.

Here's an unobstructed view looking over the valley. Spectacular, huh?

When I leave my building and head to class, this is what I see when I look left.
.And this is what I see when I look right. I told you, I just can't stop staring at the mountains. I'm like a little kid at Christmas or like my international students when they see their first snowfall. Except, I can't stop looking! It's been almost 5 years of living in the mountains and I still am as fascinated as the first view.

And when I'm returning from class, I head back across the grassy knoll, towards my building again. Those are the sights I see every day. Jealous, aren't you? I'm sure you have your own sights of nature to look at where you live.

2 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I hated climbing that hill every day. But I do really miss the mountains. There is nothing here in Texas that even remotely compares to the beauty of those mountains.

Carrie said...

Yeah, so true. I suppose you are closer to the ocean, so that could be a perk. Living here I've realized how much I enjoy the beauty of nature through the mountains, fall colors, etc. We miss you!