Friday, October 31, 2008

Reforming Halloween?

Happy Halloween! Happy Reformation Day! 2 holidays on the same day? What is that about? Most of you probably know today is Halloween, but did you know it's also Reformation Day? Since we're Lutheran, this day has special significance in the history of our church, and all of Protestantism for that matter.

Nearly 500 years ago, a Catholic monk made a public display of his disagreement with the Catholic church over indulegences, penance, and the authority of the Pope. Thus, a new Christian movement was born. Luther's teachings focused on the idea what we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus (Ephesians 2:8) and there is nothing that we can say or do that has any saving power. We are saved through the blood of Jesus on the cross, and this is a free gift from God.

I've attended a variety of churches in my college and overseas days, but none do I theologically agree with more than the Lutheran church. This song is a humerous take on Lutherans, and small nuances within our church. The song is performed by a group called "Lost and Found." I can't verify all of the people included are actually Lutherans now, but I know some of them are. Be warned- the voices are a little (ok, a lot) nasal-ish sounding. Just listen to the words.


Click here to read the text if you can't understand all of the words.

5 comments:

Craig said...

Luther should posted his theses on a different day, to avoid being overshadowed.

Anonymous said...

Scott and Carrie: I chuckled when I saw the video you included today. I had just looked up Reformation Day and listened to that one, plus the Luther posting the theses one. My neighbor who crocheted baby clothes for Care, had asked about All Saints day and Halloween so I did some research.

Scott your message is strong and true and always good to read amd hear again. The ELCA has moved Reformation day to the Sunday before but I will always think of it on the real day! Love you, O

Carrie said...

Craig- I agree with your comment. I talked to Scott about it, and there actually was a planned reason Luther posted the these on the 31st I asked Scott to post about it today, so check back for a more in-depth explanation.

Carrie said...

O- yes, at our LCMS church we celebrated the Reformation last Sunday. I think that's because this Sunday will be the celebration of All Saint's Day. Even though the days are back to back, they each deserve their own recognition on Sunday, I guess.

Craig said...

Did they have Halloween 500 years ago? I was joking.