Last weekend I went Christmas shopping for Scott. Basically, he has one large item on his list for me to get, so it's really no secret what I'm buying him for Christmas. Since Oct. or early Nov. he's been talking about this one item and how much he wants it. Therefore, I've had my eye out for sales on the item ever since. Every sale always excludes his item in the small print. Because it's a popular item (think: music) and from a company that seldom reduces its prices (think: Apple), I was resorting myself to buying it at Sam's Club for a mere $13 price reduction.
Until last week. Smith's Marketplace (similar to Fred Meyer) had a coupon for $10 off every $50 you spend. I read all the small print to see if Ipods were excluded, and there was no mention of them being excluded. Zip, zilch, nada. It did say that other items were excluded and to check the store for details. I thought for sure at the store it would say ipods were not a part of the sale.
But that was not the case! Everything in the "home" side of the store was included. Everything! Even things that never go on sale could be included! By the time I arrived, the ipod case was nearly empty, but I was able to grab one. I saved $30 with the coupon. Then the store gave me a gift card for $15 to be used on a future purchase. Then I got a $20 mail-in rebate because I made an electronics purchase over $100.
Sidenote: The mail-in rebate was from Miller Brewing Co. What does Miller beer have to do with electronics?
All in all, I saved $65 off an item that hardly ever sees a price change. Not too shabby for my Christmas shopping. Maybe there are advantages to having the economy in the dumps!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think it has to do with beer laws. Miller can't actually "force" you to buy beer to get their rebates so they have it on other items. I have seen it before when you buy manly items such as froxen pizza, tv dinners, or chips, but $15 is a good deal. I'm not really sure what the gain is for the company though, maybe just advertising.
Good job.
What could be better than drinking a beer and listening to an iPod?
Maybe we'll be on Miller's mailing list. Ha, ha...given our current state, I doubt they'd be able to send any coupons.
Beer and an iPod....sounds like Scott could be in heaven.
Post a Comment