The past 2 weeks I've been watching the Travel channel and PBS because they've been running all sorts of China specials. It's been so fun for me to travel with the TV shows through some of my favorite Chinese towns and villages. I still long to go back their for a visit and bring Scott with to see the land and people through my eyes.
In fact, I wish I was still living in Beijing now, so I could attend the Opening Ceremonies and some of the sporting events. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing the city broadcast on TV, and I can't wait to see what China does for the opening event. I know it's sure to be a grand celebration.
There is so much symbolism surrounding this Olympics. They begin on 8-8-08, exactly at 8:08 pm, which is meaningful because it is filled with "8s"- a number that has a lot of significance to the Chinese because it means wealth. Even the mascots are so true to Chinese culture. Their names and meanings are adorable. I have yet to get my hands on any of the mascots because they are sold out in numerous places!
Back when I was in Beijing, Chinese people were excited that the Olympics were coming to their country and memorabilia was already being distributed. Here's a photo of a t-shirt I bought in 2001 in Beijing.
Anything strike you as strange? If you go here and here you'll notice the emblem looks nothing like the one on my shirt and the new slogan now reads "One World One Dream." So what happened? Shortly after it was announced that Beijing was the place for the 2008 Olympics, people set out to create the emblem and slogan. This was all before the approval of the IOC. Of course you can imagine that all of the preliminary design work was nixed, in favor of something approved.
Still, I like my original Beijing Olympics shirt and will be wearing it often these next 2 weeks! Perhaps someday it will become a valuable collector's item.
5 comments:
Good am Carrie, I had completely forgotten about the shirts and caps. I'll have to get mine out and remind the boys about their caps. It will be fun to bring it to school to share. It was also Lorie & Al's wedding 49 years ago - 08/08/59. Have a nice day. Love, MomW/winter17
Hi, Carrie and Scott, I was thinking of you this AM b4 I read your Beijing blog. I was SURE Carrie would be as excited as she seems to be. Enjoy!
Love,O
Yes, we are both excited to watch the Opening Ceremonies tonight. I'm just dying that I can't watch them live right now!
I'm looking forward to the 100 meter run-people-over-with-a-tank competition. This uniquely Chinese event should be memorable.
Craig, thanks for your entry for the "nation's worst historical moment Olympics." Any suggestions for what can be entered under the US?
Post a Comment