Has anyone read this book? Last year it was a featured book at Starbucks. I've only started reading the first chapter, but I went to hear the author speak today on campus. This book was the selection for all incoming Freshman to read and discuss, and members of the community were also encouraged to read the book this summer.
Since my summer to-do list never had anything completely checked off the list, there was no way I was going to have time to read a book for fun. With the author coming to town this week, people have been abuzz about the book. Several of my co-workers also read the book and encouraged me to make the time to read it.
I decided to go and hear Ishmael speak today before reading the book. I was probably one of the few there that had not finished the book, but I was glad I went. He told some of his tales as a boy soldier in Sierra Leone, and then about his rehabilitation the last 10 years. No child should ever go through what he had to as a 13 year old, child soldiers continue around the world. The incredible thing is all of the healing that has taken place in his soul, his amazing optimism in the human spirit, and advocacy on behalf of child soldiers with the United Nations. I was touched by the journey his life has taken and have vowed to seek a greater interest in the happenings around the world. I look forward to finding the time to read more.
Since my summer to-do list never had anything completely checked off the list, there was no way I was going to have time to read a book for fun. With the author coming to town this week, people have been abuzz about the book. Several of my co-workers also read the book and encouraged me to make the time to read it.
I decided to go and hear Ishmael speak today before reading the book. I was probably one of the few there that had not finished the book, but I was glad I went. He told some of his tales as a boy soldier in Sierra Leone, and then about his rehabilitation the last 10 years. No child should ever go through what he had to as a 13 year old, child soldiers continue around the world. The incredible thing is all of the healing that has taken place in his soul, his amazing optimism in the human spirit, and advocacy on behalf of child soldiers with the United Nations. I was touched by the journey his life has taken and have vowed to seek a greater interest in the happenings around the world. I look forward to finding the time to read more.
1 comment:
I think I've heard of it, but haven't read it. Maybe I'll see if the library has it. I still have a free week to fill up.
Post a Comment