I was sitting at home today, trying to get things done before I head back to work. Our home phone rang, which doesn't happen all too often since everyone important has our cell number. When I answered, the caller stated that he was looking for a man who lived in the "Green Meadows Ward" and wanted to know if we did and if I could help him locate the person. When I politely stated that we weren't LDS (Latter-Day Saints) and I wasn't sure of the name of the ward we lived in, he apologized profusely and I could tell he was a bit embarassed.
***Before I go on, let me decode some of the language for those of you unfamiliar with LDS (Mormon) lingo. A ward is a set geographic area, which determines the meetinghouse where Mormons attend their services on Sunday. In other words, where you live determines which LDS church house you attend.***
Now I'm not sure why this gentleman called our number. He certainly didn't know our names, and I'm assuming he just looked at our address, and thought where we live might match the ward he was looking for. After I got off the phone, however, I sort of processed the call and realized how odd I thought his action was. To think this man randomly called us from the phone book, and thought we would be able to answer his LDS ward question presumes that everyone in our town is LDS .
Now I know we live in somewhat of a small town, and the predominant religion is LDS, but not everyone is LDS in our town. It's only 75-80% of the population that are Mormon. That still leaves 20-25% of the people that are not LDS. That's 1 in every 4 or 5 people. What are the chances this man would reach a non-LDS person? It just goes to show you should never assume anything.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yeah, it's really sad to me that people do this. I'm LDS, but it really embarrasses me when certain people just automatically assume things. I hope you weren't offended! Not all of us act like that. I think a lot of people around here are just used to their little bubble. They don't realize that there are different people in the world. I'm just grateful that I was raised in a home that taught me that there are different people in the world, and that's a beautiful thing, and we should never assume that people are just like us.
Last night, John and I went to the Jack Johnson concert, and met a guy who assumed we were all LDS. The funny thing is that it made me mad, but didn't seem to bother John at all. I guess we have to just recognize that there are ignorant people in the world, and be glad that God has blessed us with the ability to love one another and treat each other respectfully.
Oh, by the way, Carrie. I met someone that you know. Emily... I think you work with her. We should all get together sometime!
Thanks for your comments, Jenn. Yeah, I do know that not all LDS people act the same way. I've realized this as I've gotten to know more and more LDS folks here in town. Every once in awhile though, things still sort of smack me in the face, like this phone call.
I just came into the office today and Emily told me she had met you- how fun. She keeps saying she and I and our husbands need to get together, and now we add you and John to that list as well. Let's do something while it's still nice outside!
Post a Comment