Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Olympics are here! The Olympics are here!

Since last Friday, China has played host to the Olympic games. In some previous posts, Carrie has shared how excited she is about them taking place in a city where she has lived. Today, you get to find out a little bit of what I love about the Olympics.

When I was young, I remember watching the swimming portions of the Olympics and really thinking the swimmers were cool. Summer Sanders is the first swimmer that I can really remember watching and cheering for. However, watching what Michael Phelps has been doing brings me to an even greater awe. Having tried to swim just one lap in an Olympic sized pool and being exhausted afterward, I truly am awed at what he has accomplished.

Watching the men in gymnastics last night was an inspiring sight as well. Thinking about the muscles and control to do such events as the rings, parallel bars, and vault helps me to appreciate just how wonderfully and fearfully we humans have been created to be. That God continues to give those gifts to people inspires a deeper faith in me.

And to think: we're only 5 days into the Olympics. What other awesome or inspirational things will we see? I look forward to finding out. So tune in and watch with me and see just how awesome God has created our bodies and abilities.

No comments: